As I walk into a room, my eyes are immediately drawn to the walls. After all, they take up the most surface area and have the biggest visual impact. While some opt for painted murals or wallpaper, I’m always on the lookout for more unique wall décor. That’s why Plaster Wall Hanging Items have become my go-to.
Plaster offers limitless design options, from geometric shapes to detailed sculpted figures. The material itself has an organic, earthy feel that brings warmth and texture. Plus, plaster is durable, lightweight, and easy to install. With the right placement, plaster decor can transform any space.
In this article, Mark Cutler will share my tips for selecting, hanging, and incorporating statement-making plaster wall décor. By the end, you’ll be inspired to add this artistic medium to your home. Let’s explore the creative possibilities of plaster wall hangings with Nousdecor!
- Plaster wall hangings add unique, earthy texture with handcrafted shapes like geometrics, suns/ moons, silhouettes, and sculpted scenes.
- Strategic placement of plaster décor on blank walls, grouped in threes, and aligned with architecture maximizes visual impact.
- Proper care through gentle dusting, humidity control, avoiding direct heat, and resealing preserve the plaster.
- With endless creative design options, plaster wall art brings rustic, artistic personality to stale interiors in an eco-friendly way.
The Unique Properties of Plaster Wall Hanging Items
Before we get into plaster wall hanging options, let’s look at what makes this material special for your stunning wall plaster art photos:
- Versatile: From reliefs to 3D sculptural pieces, plaster allows for diverse artistic expression. It can be sculpted, molded, carved, and more.
- Textured: The plaster surface has a subtle roughness and absorbing quality rarely found with other materials. It adds organic interest.
- Durable: When properly sealed, plaster is surprisingly sturdy and can last for years with proper care.
- Lightweight: Compared to materials like wood or clay, plaster tends to be lightweight, making installation easier.
- Economical: You can find quality plaster wall hangings at lower price points than pricier metal or glass pieces.
With its adaptability and artisanal look, it’s easy to see why plaster makes for such statement-making wall décor. Next, let’s explore the many plaster possibilities.
Plaster Wall Hanging Styles and Shapes
From geometric patterns to nature-inspired sculptures, selecting the best home wall art plaster allows for unlimited creativity. Here are some of my favorite plaster wall-hanging styles like plaster canvas art ideas:
Clean lines and mathematical shapes have an orderly, calming effect. Try overlapping circles, rows of triangles, or 3D boxes for bold contrast on a blank wall.
Suns and Moons
Celestial bodies symbolize cycles and new beginnings. Hand-sculpted plaster suns and crescent moons add playful, mystical energy, especially when grouped together.
Etched human or animal outlines make striking black plaster silhouettes. They work in modern and eclectic spaces alike. Cluster matching silhouettes or combining different shapes.
Why hang a single shape when you can opt for a full plaster scene? Find wall sculptures with figures, foliage textures, and emotive themes. Nature, mythology, or everyday scenes each tell a visual story.
Ornate medallions often feature molded floral or geometric details. Their carved texture and antiqued patina bring traditional sophistication, suiting formal spaces. Hang singly or mix medallion sizes.
Wreaths and Swags
Plaster wreaths and swags mimic their fresh greenery counterparts. The mineral hues and defined details add romantic permanence. Group wreaths over a mantel or space garlands across a wall.
For one-of-a-kind antique character, look for architectural plaster fragments from old buildings. Repurposed corbels, ceiling medallions, and trims feel special.
As you can see, plaster accommodates any aesthetic, from modern minimalism to bohemian eclecticism. Now let’s go over ways to thoughtfully incorporate plaster décor in your space.
Tips for Hanging and Placement
Plaster wall hangings can transform a room, but only with proper placement. Follow these tips for maximizing their impact when displaying artwork on plaster walls:
- Focus on blank walls: Instead of competing with busy wallpaper or an ornate mirror, let your plaster piece take center stage on a plain wall.
- Group for impact: Clustering 2-3 smaller plaster hangings amps up the visual effect. Mix complementary shapes and sizes.
- Align with architecture: If possible, visually align plaster decor with existing architecture like overhead beams or borders. This enhances the cohesive feel.
- Repeat motifs: Use repeating suns, geometric shapes, or medallions to create a structured, rhythmic look.
- Vary heights: For interest, hang groupings at slightly different, staggered heights. Keep their overall positioning aligned.
- Watch scale: Make sure your plaster wall hanging dimensions fit the wall size. Overly tiny or massive pieces look out of place.
- Highlight with lighting: Illuminate a statement plaster piece with an overhead pendant or picture light. The added drama draws the eye.
- Add artful displays: Place collections or stacked books around or underneath wall plaster to further emphasize the area.
With a bit of forethought, you can thoughtfully integrate plaster hangings to amp up the artwork in your space. Now let’s go over care for keeping them looking their best.
Caring for Plaster Wall Decor
While durable, plaster requires some periodic maintenance. Here are my top tips for preserving your wall hangings after creating beautiful plaster art on canvas:
- Dust gently: Use a soft brush or microfiber cloth to gently dust the surface every few weeks, removing any dirt buildup.
- Check for damage: Periodically inspect for chips or cracks and repair them promptly to avoid further damage. DIY plaster repair kits are available.
- Control humidity: Since moisture erodes plaster, maintain average indoor humidity around 30-50% to avoid issues. Consider a dehumidifier if very damp.
- Avoid direct heat: Position wall hangings away from heating and cooling vents, out of direct sunlight, and nowhere near stoves or fireplaces. The direct heat can degrade plaster.
- Reseal when needed: If unsealed, raw plaster can absorb stains. Every few years, refresh sealants to protect the finish.
With the proper care and maintenance, quality plaster decor brings an artistic flair for many years of enjoyment. If you’re craving texture and character for lackluster walls, it’s time to consider the creative possibilities of plaster wall hangings.
Frequently Asked Questions
With its handcrafted imperfection, rich earthy texture, and limitless design possibilities, plaster brings artisanal warmth to any space. Choosing the perfect wall hanging takes experimenting with shapes, sculptural styles, and display groupings. But once you find that special piece, it can infuse empty walls with rustic creative flair.
So next time you’re seeking to liven up a lackluster room, consider the magic of plaster wall décor. Let this versatile artistic medium add an inspired touch of character to your home.