Looking to add some personality and visual interest to your home? One of the hottest trends in home decor is DIY vintage Wall Art Design Plate ideas. This easy, budget-friendly project allows you to create beautiful and unique wall decor using secondhand plates, platters, and saucers.
In this Nousdecor article, I’ll walk you through everything you need to know to design your own vintage plate wall decor masterpiece. From sourcing materials to arranging and displaying your plates, you’ll learn pro tips and tricks to make this project a success.
Key Takeaways of Wall Art Design Plate Ideas
- Vintage plate wall decor adds visual flair and personality to any space.
- You can look for inexpensive plates, platters, and saucers at thrift stores, flea markets, and garage sales.
- You can arrange plates creatively on the wall in geometric or abstract patterns.
- You can choose a color theme or mix-and-match plates for an eclectic look.
- You can secure plates to the wall using adhesive strips or hooks.
- You can add decorative accents like ribbons, artificial flowers, or wreaths.
Where to Find Plates for Your Wall Art
The first step is gathering wall plates, saucers, platters, or chargers to use in your wall decor display. Look for inexpensive dishes you can repurpose at:
- Thrift stores
- Garage and estate sales
- Flea markets and antique shops
- Your own collection of mismatched dishes
Focus on sourcing plates, saucers, and platters made from beautiful materials like porcelain, ceramic, metal, or glass. Vintage dining room dishes in floral patterns or solid colors work well.
For variation, look for plates in different shapes, sizes, colors, and designs. Mixing materials like metal and porcelain creates visual interest. Don’t be afraid to embrace chips or other imperfections that give your wall decor a timeworn look.
Creative Ways to Arrange Your Plate Wall Art
Once you’ve gathered your materials, it’s time for the fun part – arranging the decorative wall plates for art into an eye-catching work of art. Get creative with the placement, using these techniques:
Arrange plates in pleasing geometric patterns for a clean, modern look. Try rows, columns, diamond, or triangle shapes. Mixing round and square plates creates appealing negative space.
Go for an abstract, asymmetric look by playing with angles and overlapping plate products. Layer different sizes and shapes in a pleasing composition that draws the eye.
Group plates together by color for a bold graphic look. Try all-white, all-blue or multi-colored color blocks on the wall for a better view.
Embrace the randomness by scattering plates haphazardly for an eclectic grouping. Overlap and angle plates for depth and dimension.
Gather plates with a unifying theme, like floral patterns or antique prints. Arrange cohesively to showcase your collection as an interior designer.
Display Tips for Plate Wall Art
To display your plates successfully as wall decor, follow these pro tips:
- Clean plates with mild soap and water before displaying them to let their decorative details shine.
- Map outplacement with painter’s tape before hanging plates for a template.
- Use adhesive strips ( Command strips) to securely adhere plates to the wall without nails.
- Space plates 2-4 inches apart for ideal visual impact.
- Create height variation by mixing wall-mounted and leaning plates.
- Decorate creatively with artificial florals, wreaths, ribbons, or garlands.
- Add dramatic lighting like sconces or picture lights above the display.
- Group with other wall decor or decor for an artful vignette.
Ideal Places to Display Plate Wall Art
The artistic possibilities are endless when choosing where to exhibit your DIY wall plate decor gift. Consider these areas to place:
- Kitchen – Make a bold statement above the stove, sink, or dining table with a flower to support it as unique decor for kitchen walls.
- Dining room – Showcase favorite dish items not being used.
- Living room – Instantly warm up the decor above the sofa or mantle.
- Bedroom – Highlight favorite colors or patterns with style.
- Hallway/Stairs – Draw the eye upward on a stairway accent wall by adding flair with stairway wall art.
- Bathroom – Add color and interest to an empty wall space as bathroom wall art decor.
- Office – Pepper in visual inspiration over your work zone.
Frequently Asked Questions
Creating your own vintage plate wall decor display set is one of the best new hottest trends for infusing personality and creativity into your home decor scheme as an interior designer.
With a little bit of imagination and some clever arranging, you can transform inexpensive flea market finds into a stunning art installation worthy of any living space.
Experiment, explore, and most importantly, have fun putting your unique stamp on this easy yet artistic DIY project! Start transforming your space with wall decor now!