As someone who has decorated their fair share of homes over the years, I know that wall art can make or break a space. While paintings and photos have their place, cement wall art adds a textural, sculptural element that wakes up tired walls. If you’re looking to give your home a boho-chic style on a budget, cement wall art is a simple DIY project with seriously stylish results.
In this article, we’ll cover everything you need to know to create beautiful Boho Plaster Wall Art and give your home a free-spirited makeover. I’ll share easy tutorials, design inspiration, and tips for choosing the right elements to complement your existing decor.
- Plaster wall art like organic shapes, molded canvases, and multimedia collages embody boho style with natural textures.
- Affordable materials like plaster bandage wall art, texture mediums, and acrylic paint allow for endless DIY possibilities.
- With some practice in cement application, you can create custom artwork tailored to your home’s character and color scheme.
- Spotlight freeform cement sculptures, faux arches, or gallery walls using strategic lighting and placement in your living space.
- Incorporate other natural materials like wood, fabric, and greenery to complement your chic cement installations.
Materials Needed for Fabulous DIY Boho Plaster Wall Art
While you can purchase pre-made cement wall art, creating your own allows you to perfectly match your home’s aesthetic. The required materials are affordable and readily available:
- Plaster bandages – These medical bandages harden when wet to create smooth cement forms. They are available at most craft stores.
- Plaster cloth – For covering larger areas, use a cloth soaked in plaster. It applies smoothly to the wall.
- Texture mediums – Add sand, joint compound, or acrylic gel to cement for extra depth and visual interest.
- Paint – Acrylic craft paints work best. Choose colors that match your decor.
- Paintbrushes – Have a variety of sizes on hand for detailed work.
- Adhesives – Use strong adhesives like liquid nails to affix elements to the wall.
With these basic supplies, you can let your creativity run wild!
Boho Chic Plaster Wall Art Design Ideas
Plaster wall art ranges from simple shapes to elaborate multi-media collages. Here are some on-trend boho ideas to inspire your DIY project:
Organic, irregular cement shapes embody the boho style. Cut or tear cement bandages into abstract shapes. Apply them randomly to the wall in groups, or cluster into wall hangings. Start directly painting plastered walls in soft, natural hues like cream, tan, or pale blue. Add texture with sand or cutouts from lace or burlap.
Arched windows and doorways add architectural elegance. Mimic this look by crafting miniature faux arches from plaster. Use cardboard as a base, applying cement strips until you achieve the desired thickness. Paint in white or light gray, and affix to the wall in a row or grid.
Turn blank canvas panels into boho art by adding plaster. Apply crumpled newspaper or plastic sheets before plastering for deep crevices. Embed jute, feathers, or metallic studs while wet. Paint gold geometric designs overtop cracked white cement for an earthy look.
Create a multimedia collage using a variety of elements affixed to a plastered canvas. Incorporate metal charms, colored glass, seashells, and etched wood blocks. Keep it cohesive by sticking to a color theme, like metallic accents on white. Add whimsical drawings or inspirational words with paint pens.
Channel natural history museum chic with faux fossil art. Press actual leaves, ferns, or feathers into wet plaster. When dry, paint with gray and brown washes to replicate dinosaur bones or ancient botanical imprints. Display singly in a shadowbox frame or create an entire excavation site!
With the right combination of materials, you can produce rustic statement art for a stylish boho abode. Now let’s go over the cement application process step-by-step.
How to Apply Plaster for Wall Art
While cement takes practice, the basic technique is straightforward:
- Prepare the surface – Fill any holes or imperfections in the wall and sand smooth. Apply painter’s tape around the borders.
- Mix cement – For bandages, submerge in room temperature water until saturated. Acrylic or clay cement comes premixed. For large areas, mix cement of Paris as directed.
- Apply to wall – Begin at the top, smoothing material from the center outward. Remove bubbles and create texture as desired.
- Let dry – Drying time varies by material, but generally 24-48 hours. Mist occasionally with water to cure the plaster.
- Paint and finish – Once fully dry, remove tape and paint as planned. Seal with polyurethane if needed. Allow to fully cure before hanging other decor.
It does take some practice to achieve smooth, consistent coverage. Start with smaller pieces and work up to larger wall art installations. Having patience with the process will pay off in stunning results!
Now that we’ve covered the basics, let’s look at some options for showcasing cement art throughout your living space.
Creative Black Plaster Wall Art Ideas for Every Room
Creative black plaster wall art ideas add an artful touch to any room when styled properly. Here are some ideas for fabulous feature walls or accents:
- Entryway – Welcome guests with a polished black and white gallery wall. Frame molded cement shapes and modern prints together for contrast.
- Living Room – Add boho charm with a cluster of sculpted white cement arches over the sofa. Paint in calming blue tones and decorate with tufted pillows.
- Dining Room – Serve up intrigue with faux antique plates and botanicals “embedded” in a cement wall. Add drama with black cement drips and silver accents.
- Kitchen – Bring the outdoors in with a handmade cement herbal garland over the sink. Accent with real eucalyptus and dangling brass pans.
- Bathroom – Install a band of circular concrete cement mirrors surrounded by sconces for a spa-like ambiance. Keep them dust-free with a coat of polyurethane.
- Bedroom – Construct an organic headboard from overlapping circles of gray plaster. Affix jute, lace, or ribbons for dreamy texture.
- Home Office – Get inspired by an abstract collage of your favorite images and quotes on a cement art canvas. Add metal paper clips and colored string as whimsical details.
With the right approach, cement art transcends basic wall decor and becomes a stunning artistic statement. Now let’s explore how this versatile medium can be incorporated into your current design scheme.
Incorporating Plaster Artworks into Your Decor
Liven up your walls with cement art that complements what you already own. Here are some tips:
- Stick with a cohesive color palette – if your home leans modern, keep art monochromatic. For boho spaces, use free-spirited sunset hues.
- Maintain a consistent scale and proportion – oversized art can overwhelm a small room. Cluster smaller pieces in tight spaces.
- Balance light and dark values – cement art adds neat contrast against dark accent walls or softens bright white backdrops.
- Repeat textures for unity – if you have wood furniture, incorporate natural elements like jute into cement art.
- Allow breathing room around furniture – don’t place cement sculptures directly above sofas or beds. Allow them to be the focal point.
- Illuminate with care – spotlight textured art with wall sconces. Use soft overhead lighting to prevent shadows.
With planning, you can do more than just decorate walls – you can create an entire artistic vision with cement media.
Top-Quality Wall Ornaments for Interiors
To complete your boho-chic cement art designs, incorporate these on-trend decorative accents:
- Locally made ceramic vases filled with dried pampas grass or eucalyptus
- Woven wall hangings with fiber tassels in neutral desert tones
- Hammered metal urns for holding bundles of fresh or faux greenery
- Weathered wooden crates stacked into sculpture-like towers
- Rainbow prism catchers that cast reflected light patterns around the room
- Wicker baskets mounted flush to the wall to hold rolled-up blankets or spare towels
- Macrame wall panels with knotted details to echo cement artwork
- Hand-painted clay pots filled with air plants or mini cacti collections
With the right balance of textures, colors, and plants, your cement art will become a chic focal point for the room. The possibilities are limited only by your imagination!
Frequently Asked Questions
With its organic shapes and distressed textures, cement art brings a free-spirited boho style to any space. By making your own eclectic artwork, you can add a personal touch that makes your home uniquely you. Begin with small DIY projects using simple forms and affordable supplies. As your skills progress, move on to creating statement collages or installing full accent walls with faux finishes. With plaster, you’re limited only by the reach of your imagination.
The tactile, neutral palettes of cement art pair perfectly with plants, natural fibers, and woven accents. Incorporate found items like crystals or seashells for mystical, world-traveler vibes. With the right placement and lighting, these uncommon art installations become beloved focal features in your home.
So embrace the messiness of plaster, have fun getting creative, and bring a bit of bohemian inspiration to your decor. Your walls will thank you!
By the way, are you interested in wallpapers on plastered walls? If so, check out our article on covering plaster walls with wallpaper now!