Let the vintage treasures you unearth shape your stylish, eclectic decor!
Antique Wall Art Decor is undergoing a renaissance. Shoppers today prize the character and patina of authentic vintage and antiquity decorations. Rather than mass-produced posters and prints, interior design aficionados crave one-of-a-kind decor ideas, from antiquity mirrors to vintage paintings.
Whether your approach leans traditional, modern, or boho-chic, antiquity finds give your living room, bedroom, or entryway a dose of eclectic charm. Keep reading with Nousdecor for tips to incorporate antiquity decorations and decor into your home.
- Antique wall art like paintings, mirrors, and sculptures add character to any room. Look for authentic vintage and antiquity pieces.
- Framing, wall groupings, and displays make the most of your antiquity finds. A gallery wall shows off a collection.
- Look for antiquity and decor at auctions, estate sales, antiquity shops, flea markets, and online retailers like Etsy, eBay, and specialty sites.
- Condition, subject matter, style, size, and budget determine which antiquity is right for your space. Aim for an eclectic mix.
- With the right antiquity art, you can elevate your home decor in a unique, stylish way. Let these vintage treasures tell their story.
Where to Find Antique Wall Art Decor
- Antique shops and malls: Dealers often specialize in different eras or collecting categories, like antiquity mirrors or garden decor. You’re likely to find something unique.
- Auctions and estate sales: Searching auction listings and estate sale announcements can yield antiquity deals. You may have to outbid competitors!
- Flea markets and swap meets: Search through stacks and piles to uncover hidden vintage gems. Haggling is part of the fun.
- Online marketplaces: Etsy, eBay, and specialty vintage sites like Chairish feature antiquity from sellers worldwide. Search by type, style, or era.
- Living estate sales: If you see an estate sale advertised for the home of a collector or artist, it’s worth stopping by. You may find valuable antiquity drawings or sculptures.
- Architectural salvage: These unique stores specialize in decor rescued from old homes and buildings. Look for mantelpieces, doors, windows, and more that can work as wall art.
Wherever you search, keep an eye out for pieces that speak to you. The thrill of the hunt is part of the appeal of decorating with antiquity finds.
Tips for Choosing Antique Wall Decor
Not just any old item will work for your wall decor. Follow these tips for choosing wall art to elevate your decor:
- Consider the condition. Examine antiquity paintings, prints, and mirrors closely. Some wear adds charm, but major condition issues can be costly to fix.
- Evaluate the size. Oversized antiquity overwhelms a small space. Take measurements to ensure your vintage finds will fit and complement the room.
- Match the approach. A Baroque gilt antiquity mirror looks out of place in a Mid-Century Modern home. Choose antiquity decor that aligns with your interior design vision.
- Look for quality. Study the materials, craftsmanship, and details. Better quality antiques show superior artistry that you’ll appreciate for years.
- Assess the subject matter. Ensure any figures, scenes, or text depicted in antiquity work for you. Avoid pieces with damage or alterations to key parts of the image.
- Set a budget. With unlimited funds, you could buy museum-worthy antiquity art! Set a realistic budget and stick to pieces you love that fit your decor goals. Quality matters more than cost.
Follow your instincts. The right antiquity decor choices will leap out at you.
Creative Ways to Showcase Antique Wall Art
You’ve found the perfect vintage painting or sculpture. Now, how do you display it? Use these creative ideas to showcase your antiquity decorations:
Frame, Matt, and Hang Paintings
Antique drawings and prints come alive when properly framed and matted. The frame finish and mat colors should complement the art without overpowering it. Lean into vintage-style frames for ornate drawings or sleek modern metals for modern abstract wall art ideas. Hang with gallery approach Picture Wire so the art floats just above the center of the frame.
Build a Gallery Wall
Group several pieces of antiquity together for a stunning gallery wall effect. Including paintings, prints, antiquity mirrors, carved wood decor, and photographs like decorative laser-cut wall decor. Play with arrangement until the sizes, frames, colors, and subjects blend beautifully. Hang items close together with only an inch or two between pieces.
Go Big with Oversized Wall Art
For a dramatic look, hang a bold oversized antiquity painting like a classic landscape as the focal point of your room. Large antiquity portraits, botanical prints, or vintage movie posters make excellent big statement pieces. complement with additional smaller antiquity decor.
Style Console Tables and Shelves
Display 3D antiquity objects like sculptures, artifacts, metal trees, figurines, vases, and decorative boxes on console tables, bookshelves, or floating wall shelves. Follow basic styling principles like the rule of three.
Make Memories with a Vintage Photo Gallery
Dig up old family snapshots and assemble a gallery of black and white or sepia antiquity photos. Use identical frames and mats for a cohesive look. Not every photo must be a family member – look for vintage landscapes, city scenes, or other found antiquity images.
Repurpose Books or Documents as Wall Art
Give antiquity books, maps, star charts, or vintage dictionaries new life as wall art. Arrange books with bold covers spines out on shelves or floating shelves. Frame pages or inserts from books to highlight illustrations or text excerpts.
Display Tips for Maximum Visual Impact
To get the most design impact from your antiquity decorations and decor, use these pro display tips:
- Hang above eye level so the art is visible but doesn’t overwhelm. 57-60 inches is ideal for most rooms and wall art pieces.
- Add drama by placing dark antiquity against a white wall or light pieces against a bold-colored wall for contrast.
- Install picture lights or directional lighting above antiquity to illuminate it. Avoid direct overhead lighting that casts shadows.
- Incorporate antiquity decor throughout adjacent spaces for a cohesive look. Use the same frames, mats, or display shelving.
- Layer antiquity over wallpaper, wainscoting, or painted murals for added texture and dimension.
- Vertical wall space is perfect for hanging tall antiquity portraits or landscape drawings Showcase smaller items like vintage sculptures on horizontal surfaces.
Let your stunning antiquity finds shine with thoughtful staging to discover the beauty of artepera wall art pieces. Elevate your walls from basic to beautiful!
Antique Wall Art Ideas by Room
Incorporate antiquity tailored to each space. Here are inspiring ideas:
Living Room Antique Wall Decor
In the main gathering space, opt for conversation-starting antiquity like an oversized oil painting, intricate tapestry, colorful abstract canvas or trio of vintage botanical prints. Add intrigue with an antiquity carved mask or metal wall sculpture.
Kitchen Antique Wall Art
Give the kitchen a dose of vintage farmhouse charm with a gallery of antiquity tin signs, enamelware pieces, and retro ads. Search flea markets for inexpensive antiquity kitchenalia to display. For a pop of color, hang an antiquity enamelware sign or cluster of painted rolling pins.
Bedroom Antique Wall Accents
In the peaceful bedroom, choose softer antiquity like Impressionist landscape prints and intimate still-life paintings. Search for monogrammed or motto needlepoints and hand-tinted botanical engravings. Antique kimonos or embroidered textiles make lovely lightweight wall hangings.
Home Office Antique Wall Decor
Surround yourself with inspirational antiquity in your home office. Old botanical drawings, star maps, patent designs, and **architectural drawings or *prints* motivate creativity and concentration. Frame antiquity posters or vibrant vintage magazine covers.
Where to Shop Online for Antique Wall Art and Decor
Search these top online retailers to uncover amazing antiquity for your home:
- Etsy: This online handmade marketplace features thousands of antiquity paintings, prints, mirrors, signs, and more from independent sellers worldwide. Search by style, color, or decor theme.
- eBay: eBay’s vintage category includes reasonably priced antiquity oil paintings, prints, sculptures, and frames. Sort by nearest location to save on shipping.
- Chairish: High-end antiquity home decor and art curated from top dealers and sellers across the U.S. Includes paintings, mirrors, reliefs, and sculptures.
- 1stDibs: Upscale designer antiques site with museum-quality furnishings and art. Features Baroque mirrors, ornate frames, sculptures, and Aboriginal to Modern art.
- Ruby Lane: Specializing in antiques and vintage collectibles since 1998, Ruby Lane connects shoppers to thousands of vetted sellers. Search art, prints, drawings, and frames.
- Etsy, eBay, Hobby Lobby, Wayfair and specialty sites let you uncover amazing antiquity art. Search carefully for quality, condition, and pieces that express your unique approach.
Frequently Asked Questions
Next time you seek new art or wall accents, venture beyond the big box store. Begin a treasure hunt for vintage paintings, sculptures, prints, frames, and objects that speak to you. Let these antiquity finds reveal their rich stories while complementing your distinctive interior design vision.
With the right curated mix of quality antiquity and some creative display techniques, you can craft a living space brimming with character, history, and approach. Soon, your unique antiquity decorations may become cherished conversation pieces for family and guests.
Decorate your home with vintage art that inspires you.