I absolutely love decorating my home with unique pieces that showcase my personal approach. As someone who appreciates art and design from around the world, I’m always on the hunt for an eye-catching African Wall Art Decor that allows me to incorporate that cultural flair into my space.
In this Nousdecor article, I’ll share my tips for selecting statement-making African-inspired wall art and some of my favorite decor items to liven up any room.
- African wall art like masks, baskets, and canvases infuse rich cultural heritage into home decor.
- You can choose wall hangings with vibrant colors and patterns reflective of textiles from countries like Ghana, Nigeria, and Kenya.
- Abstract modern paintings and metal wall art offer contemporary takes on traditional African design.
- Affordable options like Ankara prints, wall stickers, and posters make African-inspired decor accessible.
- When shopping for wall art, focus on quality construction and materials for long-lasting pieces.
Into Modern African Wall Art Decor
As someone who has decorated a black African art wall for many years, I’ve found some key strategies for selecting pieces that really showcase the culture and artistry of this diverse continent. Here are my top tips just like wall art decor smile:
Look for Vibrant Colors and Patterns
Authentic black African wall art is known for its vivid hues and dynamic repeating patterns. Keep an eye out for those vibrant reds, greens, yellows, blues, purples, and oranges that are symbolic of textile traditions from countries like Ghana, Nigeria, and Kenya, unlike the American style. Popular patterns include Ndebele, Ankara, kente cloth, and mud cloth.
Choose Meaningful Materials
From rich wood carvings to earthy clay and metal, traditional African art utilizes natural materials that carry significance. When selecting wall hangings, look for enduring materials like decorative wood plaques for wall art enthusiasts, bronze, terra cotta, and woven grasses. This ensures an authenticity and quality that withstands the test of time.
Incorporate Abstract Art
For a modern twist, look for wall art that offers an abstruse interpretation of African design. Geometric metal wall sculptures like unique gold wall art for interiors or abstruse paintings with reference to cultural symbols, patterns, or colors can infuse spaces with an artistic flavor.
Mix Traditional and Contemporary
Don’t be afraid to blend old and new by pairing antiques or traditional masks and baskets with modern abstruse paintings or photography. This creates visual interest while staying true to African art heritage.
Accent with Accessories
Don’t forget smaller accent pieces like wood plaques, wall baskets, and framed prints to complete your African-inspired gallery wall. These affordable touches reinforce the theme and add gorgeous little details.
Bringing Africa Home with Wall Art Decor Ideas
When it comes to infusing black African flair into any space, wall art is my go-to decor strategy. Here are some of my favorite ways to incorporate a cultural approach through beautiful Wall Art Decor hangings.
Paintings and canvas prints spotlighting scenes of Africa or modern abstruse painting interpretations of traditional patterns are an easy way to instantly add continent-wide style. I love displaying large-scale colorful canvases as the focal point of a room. For smaller spaces, group colorful prints for a bold gallery wall.
Metal sculptures and masks crafted by talented artisans make stunning wall decor. Display one eye-catching piece on its own or arrange a trio of varying sizes for drama. I’m a huge fan of modern sculptural wall hangings with abstruse shapes and cutouts that convey movement.
Woven Wall Coverings
From colorful Ankara prints to handwoven baskets and wall hangings, textiles are a fantastic way to infuse rich patterns and textures into the decor. I love to incorporate a wall sticker made with an African-inspired pattern as the backdrop to a gallery wall display. For bedroom decor, try small woven baskets mounted at varying heights for an organic feel.
One of my favorite sources of African inspiration is the exquisite hand-carved wood plaques depicting proverbs, animals, and village scenes. The rich wood grain and skilled craftsmanship of these plaques make them true works of art worthy of display. I have several mounted prominently on walls throughout my home.
To really celebrate the people and landscapes of Africa, look for stunning fine art photographs printed on canvas or metal. Portraits of African women and tribal communities or captures of wildlife and landscapes are wonderful for bringing a sense of this beautiful continent to your space.
Affordable African Wall Decor Finds
Part of the appeal of black African-inspired wall art is the opportunity to fill your home with exotic flair on a budget.
Here are some of my favorite affordable wall art options on Amazon for every style and space to showcase the soul of black people in your living room:
- Ankara Prints: Choose from vivid patterns printed on canvas or as bold removable wall stickers. The most affordable print starts at around $10.
- Mudcloth Pillow Covers: doubles as a wall hanging for instant pattern and texture. $15.
- Abstract Metal Prints: Modern metallic prints with geometric shapes reflective of African design from $25.
- Mask Wall Decor: Wood, clay, or metal masks and sculptures referencing African tribal art under $50.
- Woven Wall Baskets: Make a textured statement with these natural woven hangings for under $30.
- Framed Animal Prints: Vibrant posters of African wildlife and scenery make artful accents from $15.
- Ankara Fabric Yardage: Use as a wall tapestry, table runner, or fashioned into pillows from just $12 a yard.
With so many options for African wall art under $50, it’s easy to decorate on a budget!
Frequently Asked Questions
Decorating with authentic African wall art is one of my favorite ways to infuse exotic flair and vibrant approach into any space. Whether you love traditional masks and carvings or modern abstruse paintings, there are endless options to choose from in every price range.
Just focus on quality construction and culturally meaningful patterns and materials. With the right wall hangings and accessories, you can easily achieve a space with true African artistry. What are you waiting for? It’s time to add some African flair to your home!